Monday, May 3, 2010

Getting back in the saddle sure is a pain in the butt!

After a very short 7 weeks, I headed back to work on Sunday. Even though I am scheduled in Pediatrics, there weren't enough kids for 2 nurses so I was out on the Medical-Surgical floor. They were nice enough to take into consideration that I hadn't worked in almost 6 months, so I only had 4 patients...but that was more than enough. I was working with a great bunch of people that took the time to answer my silly questions and give me a hand whenever I needed it. My legs were shot by the end of the day and I definitely prefer night shift more than days, but I survived.

I came home exhausted after 12+ hrs on the floor, and as soon as I walked in the door Eric says, "don't hate me, but the boys slept all day." I just groaned because I knew they would be up all night...and they were.

The next day wasn't too bad and work called at about noon to see if I could possibly work in Peds that night because the nurse scheduled had called in sick (the unit had been closed, but if someone was admitted I would have to work). I called Eric and he agreed that I could work and I went about my day.

At about 2pm I started having bad stomach pains, which by 4pm turning into puking. I called work and apologized, but there was no way I could work. I had to run and wake Desiree up to watch the boys until Eric got home because whatever I had caught, I didn't want the boys to get sick.

I HATE getting sick, especially puking!! Things quieted down by about 5am but I couldn't sleep because my entire body hurt. My back was the worst, I couldn't get into a comfortable position and finally when I was no longer nauseated I took some Tylenol...but it didn't seem to help much. I started feeling better at about 5pm, so I came out of quarantine and got to see my boys.

It is amazing how much I missed holding them. Normally I'm frustrated because they both want to be held at the same time, but not holding them for 24 hrs just about drove me crazy!

So far there are no signs of anyone else in the house getting sick, so keep your fingers crossed. One of my friends said her kids were sick this weekend, and a friend that was working at the hospital on Sunday with me, in a different unit, was puking there is definitely something going around!

Let's just pray that I won't catch anything else on my next shift!



I got my sweet birth announcement. I have posted it on my fridge so I can look at the boys alot. Thanks for sending me one. I am sorry you were sick...I had that same 24 hour thing...last week...and had to was our SACS review...and I was on the interview team...thought it was just nerves to begin with....when it did not stop...knew it was bug. Hope today is a great one...and nobody else gets sick.

Kristina P. said...

Oh, man, that sucks! You probably need some green jello with carrots.

Erin said...

Being sick is awful! And being sick with basically newborns is even worse. I really hope things start to look up quickly for you.

Missy said...

That is bad! Prayers that no one else gets sick! Get well soon!

Ellis Family said...

Oh man, I can't even imagine going to work and being on my feet for 12 hours! I'm still so sore from the cesarean!