Saturday, December 19, 2009

My first battle with the mones

So Avatar was an all-around entertaining movie, but I don't think the 3-D was really worth it. We left the theater to head to my OB appointment on Eglin AFB and noticed it looked like a ghost town. I had about 5 minutes til I needed to be checked in so I handed Eric my ID card sent him to check in while I made one of my numerous potty stops.

When I came out of the bathroom he said that there was no one in the office, and one of the entrances was locked. I knew this had to be a mistake, so I went in the other entrance and I heard a bunch of people talking in the conference room (this clinic is notorious for leaving the front desk unmanned because they are busy talking with a friend around the corner). So, being the stubborn person I am, I walked in and said I had an appointment at 1500...they all looked at me weird and a lady escorted me back out into the waiting room. She said they were closed and had no afternoon appointments. *This is when I started to lose it*

Here is the background story why: When I was making my 2nd OB appt they gave me a little piece of paper with the babies heart rates, who I saw, and the time and date of my next appointment. So I showed up at assigned date and time only to be told that I didn't have an appointment and needed to make one. I told them the chick at the front desk wrote it down for me, but because I don't carry around little pieces of paper from morons for weeks at a time, they treated me like I was a huge inconvenience and said they would squeeze me in.

I could feel the tears coming and all I could say was, "this is the second time YOU guys have screwed me over!" Thank the Lord that Eric was with me and could explain, and she asked to see the appointment slip, which I didn't have and should have learned to guard with my life, then when she asked to see my ID she said, "Oh, I recognize your name, you had an appointment yesterday."

Eric was adament about making another appointment right then, but with the computers shut down I knew the likelihood of another screw up was too big, and I was in no mood to be there. I just started walking out. Halfway down the stairs the lady says that there is a male nurse midwife that could see me right now, but we were told BY THIS CLINIC that I was only allowed to see a Dr because I'm high risk. We told her this & continued to the car.

I held it together for about a minute after entering the car, but then Eric asked if I was ok...and I lost it! I just started crying, so he pulled over. I just kept saying how helpless I felt because I didn't have many options, and I felt like they just didn't care.

*Although I live more than 20 miles away from the military hospital, no OB's in my town accept Tricare Prime, so I would have to travel to Pensacola (45 miles away) to see the ONLY one that does accept it, which I hadn't heard good things about. I can't afford to switch to Tricare Standard because the co-pays are too high, and I am without a job because I wasn't at my hospital for a year, so I don't qualify for FMLA.*

I told Eric I just wanted to go home, so we headed north. When we got in our town he asked if it was okay to stop in Walmart because he found a bunch of undeveloped rolls of film while we were cleaning out the office. I said fine, although I was worried about how it would look...a teary-eyed pregnant women waddling behind my big 6'5" sexy beast.

We pulled into a spot and my cell phone started ringing, I could tell it was an Eglin hospital #, so I handed the phone to Eric and asked him to take the call because I was in no mood. They asked for me, and he told them that I didn't want to talk to them, but he could tell them what was going on. It was the only active duty nurse in the clinic and she wanted to find out what was going on, and how she could fix it. She said it was very important that I come in on Monday or Tuesday because she noticed that this was only my 4th scheduled appointment and I was over 6 months pregnant now (which was NEVER my choosing, thank the morons at the front desk!). She told Eric that she was physically watching them enter my appointment right then, and gave her direct line if there are any further issues.

I still felt like poo, and then I saw that they scheduled me with the Dr. that when asked about when I should start taking it easy, said, "well, there is nothing we can do until the point of viability (24wks), so we'll discuss that at the appointment nearest to that date." Way to make a pregnant women feel comfortable! Gotta love reactive medicine!

So, I came home, saw dishes in the sink, filled the dishwasher and went to bed. I was nauseous before we went to the movie, and was feeling worse after. Eric came and woke me up for dinner, which I ate a little of, and then I went back to bed. I can't remember feeling this depressed and helpless since my melodramatic days in high school!

But, there is always a bright side. I slept (stayed in bed) until 0600 this morning, for the first time since switching back to days...and I am SO LUCKY to have Eric by my side to pick up where I can't, and to be my advocate. Thanks baby!!


Queenie Jeannie said...

GRRRRRRR!!!! This crap really makes my blood boil!! I'm so tired of being treated like crap, or hearing about others, by military hospitals! I'm so mad for you!!

Great job to your Sexy Beast for taking care of things. It IS his job, but I know he loves all three of you to bits! Hang in there honey!!

Mary said...

Jeannie, he always takes care of me!! And when we were at Walmart he bought my favorite donuts even though I said I didn't want any (b/c of my mood), but he got them anyway b/c he knew I would cheer up eventually. He really is the best!

Alyssia said...

aaaww yes, military doctors! They're the best (sarcastically)!