Monday, December 1, 2008

Are you brave enough to go solo?

I believe there is an innate need for human contact and social interaction, which is why I enjoy being around people. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my own personal alone time (I mainly enjoy the silence), but I really like to just be around the human race...well...most of it anyway ;o)

There are a few things that I just can't seem to do alone: going to the movies, eating out, shopping, and watching scary movies.


Before I met my husband I never realized that people went to the movies by themselves. He said he didn't start doing it until he joined the Army, lived in the barracks and was really bored. It guess that makes sense...but I also found out that my mom and younger sister (sorry to call you out ladies) also enjoy catching a flick alone. I feel completely awkward sitting by my lonesome when I am just saving seats or waiting for Eric to come back with the popcorn and goodies (and one time this guy asked if the seat next to me was taken, and when I said no, he sat right next to me and started up a conversation...then Eric came in the theater, and the guy promptly moved). Plus, there was this really creepy guy in his mid-30s to early 40s that sat next to the girls from church that I took to see Twilight. And, it wasn't like the theater was packed, and it was a 4 o'clock showing....can you say pedophile!!! I know what you are thinking...you aren't supposed to be talking during a movie, so why do you have to be with people? Sorry, I don't make the rules, I just follow them blindly!
One time I decided to tempt fate and I ate alone in a fast food restaurant....and I felt so weird, and like everyone was staring at me. I guess that I am just incredibly insecure, but I would rather be privately alone instead of publicly alone...don't judge, that's my job!
If I am headed to the grocery store or in a hurry, I prefer to shop alone...but if I am buying clothes, household appliances/decor I want someone to bounce ideas off of. I NEVER trust what sales people say to me, especially when it comes to clothes...they just want to make a sale. Which is why I wasn't any good at clothing retail...I told the chicks when their butt looked huge or if the outfit they tried on reminded me of a hooker...someone had to be honest!



I am not a big fan of scary movies in general...but to watch one alone, are you kidding me!!! Not only will I have scary/freaky dreams for weeks...but I will also have a hard time falling asleep b/c the monster/ghost/alien/psycho will jump out of my closet/bathroom/window/bed and get me the second I close my eyes! But, if someone is with me, there is the slight possibility that I can run faster than them, or use them as a human shield.

I admit that I am insecure...but I try to see the glass as half full (my half) and conclude that I really really enjoy people...or dogs, they are a great substitute...and can't talk back!

10 comments:

Wendyburd1 said...

I can shop alone, sure it has meant lots of return trips once someone ELSE sees me in the clothes and hates them, but I like the time alone sometimes. I do prefer company, and yeah at the movies. I have only gone to the movies by myself twice. Once by accident, since Sam was supposed to see Scream WITH me but got caught being underage, and once when no one else would go with me. I prefer company.

Anonymous said...

No judging here; I'm completely with you. I CANNOT go to a resturaunt by myself, and I don't plan to ever try to go to the movies by myself. It just feels too awkward.

Kristina P. said...

I've never gone to a movie by myself. And I eat at fast food places alone all the time, but not at sit down places, where there's a server.

Brittany Marie said...

I didn't know people went to movies by themselves until I got married. Que's mom does it all the time. I think I could eat at a non-server restaurant alone if I had a laptop or a book or something. You know, something to make me (look) occupied.

Michelle said...

That totally reminds me of the movie Without a Paddle. "You can't outrun a bear." "I don't have to outrun it, I just have to outrun you!" hahaha.

I totally know what you mean. I'd rather be alone in private than in public. I could never bring myself to go to a movie by myself. However, now-a-days I would give anything to go shopping for clothes by myself. :)

Jillene said...

I would never go to a movie alone either. I do however go shopping alone and I take every opportunity to do so (when you have kids you will understand)!!

Jen said...

I totally agree with everything you said! I don't understand going to the movies alone. I don't care, I talk/whisper during the movie. And even if you don't, I have the best conversations reviewing the movie afterward! And as for fast food restaurants... that's why they created drive-thru's. The only thing i've HAD to get used to is shopping alone. I hate it, but my husband will never go with me, and I don't really have friends.

Mary said...

I am so glad that I am not the only one!!!

Grandma Arnold said...

Mary, I've gone to one movie by myself. Yes, I'd much prefer company, but no one else was available to see "Twilight" with me, so I went solo.

Mary said...

Mom- I know...it just means you are more secure than I am...it is a good thing!!!