Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Global Warming my....um....foot!

If there is one thing I can't stand....it is being cold. I guess winter has finally decided to set in this week, and I am super bummed!



I know most of you are thinking...don't you live in FL?? Well, yes and no. I live in the northern part of FL, and the highest elevation point in the state (a couple hundred feet). But, because I am a very short distance to our neighbor in the north...I like to think of this area as Southern Alabama. Would anyone even believe that it drops into the teens during the months of January & February!?!? Sad, but true.



My husband and I have sort of an agreement. I won't turn turn the air above 75 in the summer (even though I cheat while he is gone & turn it up to 78), and he won't turn it below 72 in the winter. You might think this is backwards, but I freeze all year round. I have always had this problem, and it seems like I can't get warm the past few days. My husband sits around in his underwear while I am in sweats (with a layer underneath), thick socks, slippers, all the while cuddled underneath a blanket with the thermostat @ 72 degrees.



My only comfort as I walk outside to scrap the ice off my windshield is passing by the Elaeagnus bushes by my front door. This is a great shrub that blooms in the winter (I know, its weird), and the smell reminds me of the tuberose, pikake & plumerias in HI.

Here are some pix of my one bright light in the cold darkness that is winter.








I tell Eric constantly...'if you love me, we will move back to Hawaii.'
Here's wishing!!!

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Ha! We are the same! I walked in the house last night, and Adam had the temp down to 69!!! In the winter! We had to buy me a space heater.

Anonymous said...

Florida is insane. I'm in Tampa and it's still in the 60s and 70s during the day and in the 40s 50s at night, where my mom lives a little farther north there's almost a ten degree difference.

Jillene said...

I am opposite of you. I am always hot. I seldom use blankets when I sleep which is good for my hubby because he likes to roll up in them!!

K and/or K said...

FL? For realz? Try the tundra we call Minne"snow"ta my dear! TORTURE!

Michelle said...

I hear ya. I've been walking around with a scarf and jacket for a week now. We have the thermostat set at 67. I'm seriously freezing. (don't tell Mike, but sometimes I sneak and turn it up to 69. hehehe.)

Michelle said...

Oh, and by the way. I LOVE that bush.

Brittany Marie said...

I love fireplace weather! Too bad it was 65 yesterday.

Mary said...

I have a little electric space heater that I take in whatever room I am in!! I love to have it in the office b/c it is so small that the computer heats up the room anyway, so with my heater...it is the only place I can be nice & toasty warm.

Wendyburd1 said...

Mary I am gonna HURT you. I love in the EAST COAST!! It is freezing most days for awhile now, actually FREEZING! My dad doesn't allow the heat over 60 and only has it on from 230p - 9p. SO I AM COLD!!! And sick.:(

Send some florida "cold" up this way...72!!! Ahhhhhh!!

Unknown said...

People are always so shocked about how FL can get! Thanks for sharing pics of the sunny winter weather. I should do that same!

Thanks for sharing about your "intelligently trained" dog!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I'm right next to Orlando so I am loving the weather. I am still opening the patio doors to get a breeze in and I just started wearing a sweater on the 1st. I was over the Summer so bring on chilly weather I say.