Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I am seriously considering becoming a vegetarian!

While driving the 800+ miles on our vacation, I came across something very disturbing...10+ raccoons as road kill.


I have always been an animal lover, and I just can't stand the site of any animal being mistreated or suffering. But, I thought...such is life, road kill happens...even by me!

So, when Eric and I got back we were caught up watching this show on Animal Planet called "Whale Wars." From the perspective of the crew of the Steve Irwin, the Japanese whalers are taking advantage of the UN's decision that if you are doing research on whales, and one dies, you can sell the meat...and there is a time frame & # that this is allowed to happen to. So, they throw rancid butter & flour bombs onto the decks of the processing ship so any meat that touches the decks is unsellable...and it keeps them from continuing whaling.

After thinking about this for awhile I recalled that I have never been fishing...and I don't think I could if it wasn't catch & release. I really even hate to think about how slaughter houses function...even the most "humane" ones...it breaks my heart....but I like meat.

I'm going to continue to think about this for awhile, b/c it really does bother me. But, I don't know if I could stick to the restrictions. I've got some soul searching to do. Right now I am very torn.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter became vegetarian for much the same reasoning and then she went vegan for 2 years. Vegetarian was very doable but veganism was really a challenge. She JUST made the decision to stop being vegan and just be a vegetarian again and I can see that she's far happier now. As long as you're not denying yourself your very favorite foods, you should be fine. Good luck with your decision! (I wrestle with that one myself)

Brittany Marie said...

When we were in Moab we saw a huge black cow that had been hit the night before and it was laying off to the side of the highway. It was awful. I also saw on KSL.com a story about 2 elk who were spooked and jumped to their death on I-15. That stuff makes me sad too. :(

Anonymous said...

I've been debating the same thing recently. I always said I would give it some thought once I moved out on my own. It's sort of one of my New Year's Resolution to try it, but I'm such a meat eater...

Mary said...

I really think I am going to give it a shot. I can at least try and see how things go, right??

Wendyburd1 said...

I love animals, ESPECIALLY dolphins and whales are amazing, but I could never be a vegetarian, I LOVE my filet mignon!

Chris said...

Are you going hippie on me sis? Seriously... read up on the Word of Wisdom...Moderation in all things. It's not healthy to completely cut out one source of nutrition. There is B vitamin that you can only get from meat. Besides it is WAY expensive to be vegitarian.